Friday, June 13, 2008

life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Interesting day. I woke up about 5:30 only to get into the car to embark on a sleepy, Ipod filled journey to downtown Tampa for my Mom's citizenship ceremony. The ceremony was actually better than I thought. There were times when I wished I had brought a book or knew of someone that was awake at 8 am that I could text, but the new citizens made the whole trip worth it. To see people so excited to finally be part of a country that I sometimes take advantage of was inspiring. I dress in red white and blue on 4th of July and I get chills every time I read/ listen to the "I Have A Dream" speech, but after seeing what I saw today, I left with a real sense of patriotism, and the tune of "I'm Proud to be an American..." in my head. 

On a side note- I was in a city today. Being in "the city" where there are buildings that have more than a few stories, parking garages, and professional looking men with briefcases just does something to me. I love it.

No comments: